Tuesday, June 19, 2012

...to write some stuff about Maine

So... It's been a while since I've written because there hasn't been much action as of late that compares to the stuff I've already written about. This doesn't mean that nothing exciting has happened, this is Jackman Maine, the most exciting place on earth. Ok, but for real, I'll tell some stories.
Story 1... I accidentally passed a customs officer on 201 going very, very, not slowly... OK enough of that story, moving on now... (He was in a Subaru I had no idea)
Story 2... Finally hit big water with customers. I was kind of supposed to guide but it didn't work out so I jumped in a customer boat with Ashley and hit the 9000cfs preparing for carnage. Luckily our boat, filled with three younger girls, their father and uncle, and this strange brother/sister duo that filled every awkward category imaginable, stayed upright for the entire journey. Mason's boat, filled with an gangly group of hardy men, flipped and then the craziness started. All of a sudden there were 8 or 9 people swimming in the river just a few hundred yards above Zturn. Most made it back in to the boat, the others decided to swim in every direction that would be considered "bad". Example A. One patron started swimming towards another company's raft, bad. Seth, shouting at the top of his lungs, started him swimming in the right direction. Example B. Sunglasses man. Sunglasses man decided it would be a fantastic idea to attempt to swim to shore.  "DO NOT SWIM TO SHORE" reiterated a million times during the safety lecture but there he went; to the shore and right towards a big downed tree, (a strainer). His progress was not impeded by Ashley's screaming of "SWIM TOWARDS THE BOAT". Sunglasses man was relentless. He missed our boat and another one of our rafts picked him up in the middle of Zturn. Later, because Sunglasses man was on a role, Sunglasses man thought it would be hilarious to jump, lemur style, towards my innocent person and drag me into the water. I do not know this man. Here is a full grown man, wearing creepy sunglasses and a maniacal smile and all of a sudden he was pulling me into a river. At this point of guide life I have resigned myself to the fact that it just hurts more to struggle at staying out of the water in such scenarios. So I fell into the river and got back in my boat as Sunglasses man swam away to his next victim. Ok, Big Water day over and it was a blast, even with Sunglasses man.
Story 3... I have picked up whitewater kayaking. After watching people whitwater kayak the gorge I thought to myself, "This can't be hard" but its actually the most difficult thing Ive tried to do in a long time. After smashing my face on the dock while practicing rolling, and practicing rolling, I hit a smaller river nearby and got my first taste of whitewater kayaking. I've been practicing quite a bit, and I still suck, but hopefully this will be something I can be good at by the end of summer.
Story 4... My Mom, Ainsley and Grammy Mary came and visited me today! Well, technically I visited them, in Greenville, but then they came to Jackman and I gave them a quick tour of the town and of MRO. It was great to see some familiar faces. NOW! YOU! Reading this, sitting on your comfy couch hours away from good ol Jackman, COME UP HERE! LETS GO RAFTING

Bonus story... Maybe by the end of the summer I'll be able to do this --> HUCKFEST this is just over and hour away from me on the Dead river.

K, night, bye

No comments:

Post a Comment